!Header Logo

Harris Animal Hospital

!Give us a call button

!Call Icon

Pet Fire Safety Tips

July 15, 2021

Today is Pet Fire Safety Day! Fires are terrifying, devastating, and deadly, and they can happen extremely fast. While fires sometimes start for reasons you couldn’t prevent or foresee, such as wildfires or lightning strikes, they can also begin by accident. Pets can start fires: in fact, they start about 1000 annually. Fortunately, taking a few simple precautions can reduce the risk of this happening. A Roanoke, VA vet offers some tips on pet fire safety below.


Candles may make your home look and smell nice, but they’re really not a safe mix with pets. Fluffy can easily stick her tail into a flame, while Fido can knock a candle over by wagging his tail or bumping into it. Keep candles in high spots where your pets can’t get to them. Wall sconces are a good bet. It’s also best to use thick candleholders as added protection. Or, better yet, opt for flameless candles. Be careful with tiki torches as well.


It’s important for pets to have access to clean water at all times, but this is particularly crucial when it’s hot. However, don’t put clear glass bowls on—or even near—wooden decks. These focus sunlight, much the way magnifying glasses or mirrors would, which greatly increases the risk of fire. During hot weather, it’s also vital to prevent heat stroke in your pets. Learn more about how to protect your cat with our article on Preventing Heat Stroke In Cats.


Fireplaces are very warm and cozy in winter, but they can also be fire hazards. Pets can trip and fall into them, or just get too close and get singed. Fluffy or Fido could also knock something into the fireplace. Use secure grates in front of fireplaces.


Portable heaters are often mentioned as a fire risk. While you probably don’t need them at this time of year, it’s important to be aware of the risk these pose. Pets can knock these over, which is quite dangerous.

Gas Stoves

If you have a small dog, this isn’t going to be too much of a concern. However, bigger pups can accidentally turn burner knobs on. Play it safe, and put childproof safety covers on your burner knobs.


These also pose fire risks. Putting barbecue grills on wooden decks is a common cause of house fires. The danger here is exacerbated when there are dogs around, as Fido could knock a smaller grill over.

Do you have questions about your pet’s health or care? Contact us, your local Roanoke, VA veterinary clinic, today! For emergencies or critical care needs, learn more about our Veterinary Critical Care services. We’re here to help ensure your pet receives the best possible care in any situation.

!Single Blog Social Sharing Icons